Faced with overwhelming opposition to a Charter Change to allow President Aquino to extend his term beyond 2016, Malacañang has backtracked and assured the public that he is not supporting changes in the Constitution in the last two years of his presidency.
Press Secretary Herminio Coloma Jr and Deputy Presidential Spokesperson Abigail Valte can resort to all kinds of spins but it is on that Aquino said he was open to charter change to clip the powers of the Supreme Court and to another term.
We know that there are provisions that are really needed to be amended, for political, economic and social stability and sustainability reasons. We should NOT ALLOW OURSELVES NOT TO AMEND the Constitution simply because it was former President Cory’s time when the 1987 Constitution was approved, or Binay is the best choice, or the Catholic and Christian Schools may be made to pay taxes, or President PNoy will benefit or his co-Liberal Party mates, etc.
Let us have a full debate of this serious matter, or submit this issue to a referendum- THE PEOPLE DESERVES TO DECIDE ! not because of media mileage of a certain groups or there are sectors who are on the verge of succeeding PNoy whose motives for the country is even questionable
Here are some reasons why this shoud not be allowed:
1) Charter Change must proceed through people’s initiative or con-con, not con#$%$.
2) All local and national elected officials (from the President up to the Barangay officials) must only served a maximum period of 4 years and can only be re-elected once for another 4 year term limit.( the Anti-Dynasty Law must be fully implemented and enforced).
3) Change the form of government, from Presidential to Federal or Parliamentary form of government and from District Representatives to Sectoral Representatives or Party List Representatives.
4) Implement the real separation of powers between the Executive, Legislative and Judicial Branch of Government.
5) Implement the real Land Reform Program.
6) Charge and prosecute all those government officials
Former President Fidel V. Ramos on Tuesday night said President Benigno Aquino can try to seek a new term but warned against overstaying in power.He said in an interview also said Aquino should make a categorical statement if he wants to amend the Constitution and sek reelection in 2016.