I’m sharing a simple recipe to prevent diabetes, for borderline diabetics and diabetics.
White beans are known as the diabetic’s superfood because of its balance of protein and complex carbohydrates. Aside from soluble fiber which controls blood cholesterol levels, it contains saponins and phytoserols which help lower cholesterol. Its loaded with potassium, iron, folate, manganese, B vitamins and its low in fat. Eat it in moderation to improve cognitive abilities and its great for detox. Incorporating white beans in your diet can reduce the risk of potential cancer and even brain aneurysms.
However, avoid it if you suffer from high uric acid or gout. It may also trigger migraines or allergic reactions so consult your doctor when this happens.
Cannellini Bean Salad
cannellini or white beans, you can also use canned beans
salt & pepper
*(You may also use thyme, basil or rosemary)
*(You may also use paprika, cayenne or chili pepper flakes for some kick)
More after the jump
Preparing/Cooking the White Beans:
– Soak in cold water overnight
– Drain before cooking
– In a large sauce pan, boil the beans with enough water to cover it for 15 to 20 minutes
– Add in salt and let simmer for 15 minutes
Assembling the salad:
– Drain beans and place in a large bowl
– In a bowl, whisk the olive oil, lemon juice, salt & pepper and preferred herbs & spices; lightly toss with the white beans
– Let stand in room temperature for a bit and serve topped with some chopped parsley; You may also serve chilled